Somalia had a population of 20 million in 2021. All are Somali by ethnicity, Muslim by religion, Sunni and Shafi’i by order. About 52 percent of the population live in the urban areas while the remaining 48 percent form either rural or nomadic populations. Somalia is considered a customary, religious, and egalitarian society. Religion and customary practices influence their way of living more than statutory regulations. The country is now recovering from a prolonged conflict and terrorism spearheaded by ‘Al Shabab’. Somaliland and Puntland claim to be independent from the rest of Somalia and
have their own political orders, but neither of them is recognized as a sovereign state by the international community.
This report offers a high-level comparative review and analysis of Muslim family laws (MFLs) in seven countries in the Greater…